For 2020, I am setting a resolution of proliferation for myself and for my company.
To my future self.
I hope, future me, that you are richer and more successful than I am right now. And I am hoping to help get you there by committing to some creative outlets and getting consistent. I know one of the things you tell people is to be regular. Well, do that.
I haven’t had much of a presentational online presence. Pretty much ever. Even though I make lots of video and live in the world of media, I feel like haven’t spent nearly enough time making my own stuff – for me – and contributing to the media world.
So, here goes. For 2020, I resolve to publish media 200 out of 366 days. The cool thing about a 200 day resolution is that it’s basically 4 out of 7 days of the week the whole year. You could skip 2 weeks’ worth. Or if you schedule it out like a monday-thursday thing for the whole year, you have 8 skip days.
I got the idea from my Shannon’s cousin Ryan who a few years back who did 200 days of surfing. Then Shannon 2 years ago did 200 days of yoga. It’s ambitious but not obscene.
It’s a good round number. It’s prolific. It’s the majority of the week, but not like overwhelming. It’s a four-day workweek. It’s manageable.
Like anything you want to do that you want to be successful, you gotta have some structure. I like calling them parameters. Let’s set up some parameters.
- It’s gotta be 200 days completed before 2021, of whatever timezone I’m in.
- This post doesn’t count, since it’s published in 2019.
- The thing that counts is being published. By whom doesn’t matter. So a client posting a video I made for them counts.
- Things that count: videos, podcasts, good blog posts, photos, intentional instagram posts, articles, behind-the-scenes shots or selfies, how-to videos, anything public-facing that fits the idea of being prolific.
- It’s okay to do the creation on one day and the posting on another.
- The platform doesn’t matter.
- I determine what counts and what doesn’t.
- If I fail, I will still love myself.
There you have it. I will also set a couple of self-improvement goals from doing this.
I have a goal to get quicker at creativity.
I have a goal to start feeling like a contributor and less of a consumer.
I have a goal to provide interesting content.
I have a goal to be a little inspirational.
That’s probably enough goals.
Future self, you can tell me how I did.